Sunday, April 5, 2009

Apple Scones


I was introduced to scones at a tea party when I was about 8 (Yes, tea parties still exist). It was so much fun for a young girl. An excuse to wear my best dress, drink in  pretty teacups, and eat sandwiches and pastries! So, I have to thank my cousin Lauren and Aunt Cheryl for introducing me to such a fantastic treat! :D
This recipe is so flexible and easy. I looked at a bunch of scone recipes and created a one that used ingredients that I already had. I'm sure if you don't have whole milk you can use evaporated milk and butter or regular milk, butter, and a little extra sugar. If you don't have apples, pretty much any not-too-juicy fruit will do. The result is a wonderful, lightly sweet, fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside, fuss-free scone. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/3 cup sugar (I used raw sugar but white sugar would be fine)
6 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut in pieces
1 cup apple, diced (about 2 small apples)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 t vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2) In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Rub butter into mixture with your fingers until it resembles course crumbs. Stir in apple pieces.
3) In a separate small bowl, whisk together egg, evaporated milk, whole milk, and vanilla extract. Add milk mixture to flour mixture all at once and stir until moistened.
4) Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto a buttered pan and press flat to about 3/4 inch thick. The mixture will be very sticky. It should yield about 10 scones.
5) Melt 1 tablespoon butter into 1/8 cup evaporated milk. Brush this over scones ad sprinkle with course sugar.
6) Bake for 15 minutes or until scones are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment